Welcome and thank you for interest in Effingham County Government.
The Effingham County Board is the legislative body of County Government. It is comprised of 9 elected members, each representing a geographic district with in the County. Each district is currently composed on average of just under 4000 residents. The districts are adjusted every 10 years after the national census information is published.
The Board meets monthly on the third Monday of the month, with the exception of Holidays, and then the meeting is moved one day to Tuesday. The Board also encompasses various committees that report and recommend to the board. Please see the side menu for more information on the individual committees.
The Effingham County Board:
- Determines Real Estate Tax Levy
- Sets and collects other local taxes
- Delineates budget for all County offices
- Composes, debates, considers and adopts County Ordinances and Resolutions
- Cooperates and interacts with Federal, State, and other local government entities
- Conducts county wide business not specific to a particular department
- Negotiates insurance and labor contracts
- Enters into contractual agreements on behalf of the county
- Coordinates with CEFS to provide Public Transportation.
- Facilitates efforts between various departments within the county
- Appoints all committee members